Immigration Law Online
Immigration deals with the laws controlling entry into the country. Immigration lawyers help immigrants understand the laws and processes surrounding visiting as tourists, working or studying abroad and becoming a citizen. Anyone who is considering gaining entry into a foreign country should consult an immigration law attorney before contacting immigration authorities.
“Removal,” formerly called "deportation", is the process the government has for expelling a non-citizen from the country.
Grounds for Removal
Non-citizens in danger of being “removed” include:
- A person who entered the country on a temporary visa, that has since expired
- A person who has entered the country illegally
- A person who has violated immigration laws
- A long-time immigrant who has a green card, if they commit a crime or have committed a crime in the past
Making a false claim of citizenship in order to receive a benefit under the immigration laws (even for employment purposes)
Although a person may be able to seek a waiver of removal in certain circumstances, there are some grounds for removal the government will waive.
A person fearing persecution in their home country can seek asylum. To be considered for asylum, a person must:
- Have been in the country for less than one year
- Be able to show that they have been persecuted in the past or have a well-founded fear of persecution in their home country because of:
4 Political opinion
5 Membership in a particular social group
If the judge grants asylum, the person is no longer “removable” and can apply for a citizenship.
statues related to immigration Law
- Immigration Restriction (Commonwealth Citizens) Act
- Deportation (Commonwealth Citizens) Act
- Caribbean Community (Free Movement of Skilled Persons) Act
- Passport Act
- Aliens Act
cases related to immigration law
- Attorney General Vs. Dwayne Floyd Oliver Reid
- Regina Vs. Jacqueline Chenowith
- Regina Vs. Robert Brooks
- Regina Vs. Stephen Anderson, David Blasco & Daniel Dominguez
- Noel Riley Vs. Reginam
Click Here to find a Immigration Lawyer